Handicapped

Ive lost my cell and have realized how dependent ive become on the little piece!! For no reason I did avoid buying one for a long time.
Those were some days!! I do cherish em a lot. It goes without saying that talking less solves a lot of problems!!!
No talking unnecesarily. No late night calls!!! I lived in my own secluded world!!
Getting to meet me was a chore to most of my frens. Plans couldnt change last minute coz I couldnt be contacted!! It had to be pre planned!! No inane talk.
It was tough at times when Id just want someone to talk to. Well... ofcourse eventually the feeling passes off and my secrets remained with me. The wait killed the urge.
(Did I mention using the Net in my old company was curtailed. We just had about an hour daily in office times to browse. One more reason to use it wisely. )
Basically it was simple... very simple.
Yes, ofcourse there were emergencies when I wished I should own one.

But then circumstances changed and I bought myself one bringing an end to era of calmness.
What followed were late night calls, unnecessary chatter, mindless prattle, gossip, backbiting .... and not to speak about the phone bills!!
I got so used to carrying one.
Calmness unsettled me. Id just have to call and speak with somebody or the other!! How noisy Id made my life!!

Then came a day when I lost it.
Which is when I realised ... ok welll I was forced to realise the importance of silence!!
No calls .... just nothing.
For some reason the following line from Coolidges poem comes to mind

Water Water everywhere, Not a drop to drink ....

People everywhere and yet am back in my secluded world.
Which makes me think ... am not actually handicapped. :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As everyone is expected to be available for contact all the time, we are forced to use cell phones. :)

Better of using it as a tool to be in contact and not for unnecessary chats.

Anonymous said...

So, have you got a cell yet?

Anonymous said...

yep. found it. :D