Books

Remember Amar Chitra Katha, Superman, Phantom, Gokulam, Chacha Chaudary, Chandamama, Misha, Target (the last two, am not sure If anyone remembers em or read em. I was a regular reader.)

Comics @schools were coveted. For that matter any book but comics were there right on top of the list. You could trade it for anything in a hostel. The more number of comics the richer you were in the convent. OK I know you got the picture.

I miss reading a lot. The total absorption in a book, unmindful of the hours passing by, no lunch, no dinner just nothing till the book got over. Guess , this comes under some sort of fanaticism.

Some books that were totally in demand- David Copperfield, All Comics, Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice, Little Women.

And there were long lines before you got your hand on any of the books.

Remember reading David Copperfield back to front.
And my first experience of a book was a comic in telugu on Krishna. Vividly remember reading it in lamplight coz there was no power.

You do have weird experiences If you grow up in a convent. Things that day scholars take for granted, are coveted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was an ardent reader of many comics. Chandamama, Bala Mitra, Bommarillu and like
My dad used to get me lots of books pancha tantra, ramayan, mahabharat :) those times were different. I used to sit in varendah alone with those book all spread on mat and read continously and even sleep with them. Miss those days if i look back those i feel are golden days of my life. I have not been in convents from childhood to experience this trading books stuff. But i would never trade them :)

chennairamblings said...

Ah,the good old days of waiting to get your hands on a coveted book...however, we did use the nights right to bypass the long queues :P

AnonymousNotSo said...

@chennairamblings
Yep. and since we had to turn out the dorm lights, we would head for the bathrooms. hmm well that deserves a second post.:)
funny experiences.